Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Diary of a Dead Man

Whether you believe in the possibility of life after death or not, I believe one thing is certain. If the self is somehow able to continue on after the body has passed, it doesn't take memory with it. Memory is stored in a physical entity: the human brain. We know the brain doesn't get up and leave the body upon death. Whatever the self is, it is not memory. The self may indeed change, for better or for worse, during its time in the human vehicle, but it does not remember the details.

Don't grieve for me. I had a good run. I saw it all. I had but one perspective: my own. Therefore the world began when I began, and for the me that was, it ended when I ended. I do not look back with resentment, regret, bitterness toward anyone or anything, for I do not look back. I do not watch over and judge anyone. I no longer know you.

For those who remain, my parting piece of advice: Please remember what was good about me, that which you liked, that which you can use to help better yourself. Everything else was irrelevant.

No comments: